Preserving & Promoting the History of NE Philadelphia since 1905
HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF FRANKFORD
The Center for Northeast Philadelphia History
Tuesday, 11 September 2012
FRANK H. FURNESS
WARRIOR – ARCHITECT (1839-1912)
Join the Historical Society of Frankford in remembering the life and works of Philadelphia’s prolific architect, Frank H Furness — recognized by the American Institute of Architects as one of this nation’s ten greatest architects — as we offer our own ceremonial eulogy for his contributions to Philadelphia and the nation. We will be joined by Frankford’s GAR Museum and Library, the Sons of Confederate Veterans, the General Meade Society, the First City Troop, and others as we acknowledge his service as a Rush’s Lancer, his receipt of a Congressional Medal of Honor, and other lesser known aspects of his life.
Of 800 structures built from his designs, only 200 survive today. Northeast Philadelphia is fortunate to have two of these — the Mortuary Chapel of Mt Sinai Cemetery, 1901 Bridge Street (http://mtsinaicemetery.org/history.html), and the Knowlton Mansion, Furness’ only remaining country house, at 8001 Verree Road (http://www.conroycatering.com/docs/km_travel.html).
As part of the city-wide remembrance of the centennial of his death. The Society has also mounted a special exhibition “FRANK FURNESS and NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA” devoted to Furness as a creative genius and including photographs, prints, and drawings of this masterpieces – both extant and sadly defunct – with emphasis on his designs for Northeast Philadelphia region, including Frankford. The exhibition presents materials from the Society’s extensive Library and Museum collections, as well as items on loan from other collections – including an original oil portrait by Albert Gury.
Refreshments served. Members free; Others $5.00
1507 Orthodox Street, Philadelphia, PA 19124