- BIRDING IN TACONY CREEK PARK – Sat, January 11, 2014, 10am – 12pm, TACONY CREEK PARK, gateaway, I St. and Ramona Ave –
Join us on a walk through Tacony Creek Park to look for birds wintering in Philadelphia. This FREE walk is open to all — you just need an interest in learning about birds. Expect some good bird spotting (woodpeckers, chickadees, hawks, oh my!) while enjoying lovely undiscovered Tacony Creek Park. This event is part of the Philadelphia mid-winter Bird Census. Donuts, hot cocoa, and binoculars will be provided. Don’t forget to dress warmly! CONTACT: Alex Cooper at cooper@ttfwater
shed.org or 215.744.1853
Services at St. James – St. James Lutheran Church, Castor Ave. and Pratt St. – Saturdays Prayer Service at 6:00 pm, Sundays Traditional Service at 9:00 am, Sundays Contemporary Service at 10:30 am
- Appraisal and Watch Repair Clinic – Mon, January 13, 10am – 3pm, Peter Bressi Northeast Senior Center 4744 Frankford Avenue – Come sell your old gold, silver, platinum jewelry, old cell phones, or x-rays and make some extra cash for the new year. Precious Metals will be here holding an appraisal and watch repair clinic, with proceeds benefiting the Peter Bressi N.E. Senior Center. No charge to attend.
- Crochet Class – Mon, January 13, 10am – 11am, Peter Bressi Northeast Senior Center 4744 Frankford Avenue – Come join us for our new crochet class. Beginners welcome. No cost
- Frankford PhillyRising Community Meeting – Mon, January 13, 2014, 5:30pm – 7:00pm, Frankford Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia 4634 Frankford Avenue – What is our vision for this year? Events that we would like to see happen? Changes we would like to see in Frankford as a Community?
- “Movin and Groovin” Line Dancing class – Tue, January 14, 12:00pm – 12:30pm, Peter Bressi Northeast Senior Center 4744 Frankford Avenue – Come join us for our new class. No cost.
- Srvices at St. James – Sat, January 18, St. James Lutheran Church, Castor Ave. and Pratt St. – Saturdays Prayer Service at 6:00 pm, Sundays Traditional Service at 9:00 am, Sundays Contemporary Service at 10:30 am
- Tax Relief Workshop – Wed, January 15, 6:30pm – 8:00pm, Campbell AME Church, 1657 Kinsey Street
- PSA 1 Meeting – Thu, January 16, 2014, 7pm – 8pm, Aria Hospital, 4900 Frankford Ave.
- Announcement Rally – Sat, January 18, 12pm – 2pm, Frankford Boys and Girls Club, 1709 Kinsey Street – Jason Dawkins announced his candidacy for the 179th District seat of the Pennsylvania General Assembly.
- MLK DAY OF SERVICE CLEANUP – Mon, January 20, 2014, 10am – 1pm, Rorer Street and Roosevelt Boulevard, Bingham Meadow – On MLK Day, join TTF to celebrate the importance of giving back to your community! In partnership with the Philadelphia Parks and Recreation, TTF will be hosting a cleanup day in Tacony Creek Park at Bingham Meadow. We will be beautifying the area by cleaning up trash and removing invasive plant species from the area.
- Movie Matinee – Mon, January 20, 12:30pm – 3:00pm, Peter Bressi Northeast Senior Center 4744 Frankford Ave – You pick it, we play it! Popcorn and beverages served. Free of charge
- “Movin and Groovin” Line Dancing class – Tue, January 21, 12:00pm – 12:30pm, Peter Bressi Northeast Senior Center 4744 Frankford Avenue – Come join us for our new class. No cost
- Northwood Civic Association Meeting – Tue, January 21, 2014, 7pm – 8pm, St. James Lutheran Church, at Castor Avenue and Pratt Street.
- Dance Movement Therapy Class – Wed, January 22, 10am – 11am, Peter Bressi Northeast Senior Center 4744 Frankford Ave – Please join us for our Dance Movement Therapy Class. Come join this hot new program! $1:00 donation requested
- Cookology Class – Fri, January 24, 10am – 11am, Peter Bressi Northeast Senior Center 4744 Frankford Ave – Please join us for our cookology class. A certified Dietitian will be whipping up some delicious, nutritious treats for all to sample! A very popular, free of charge event.
- Womrath Artist Meeting – Mon, January 27, 6pm – 7pm, 2nd Baptist Church, 1801 Meadow Street – Destination Frankford welcomes all members of the Frankford community to a public meeting. The five Destination Frankford Womrath Park Sculpture finalists, chosen by a jury of project administrators, arts professionals, and representatives of the Frankford community from 100 applicants, will present their proposals for the park’s new public artwork. Jake Beckman (Philadelphia,)
, Pete Beeman (Brooklyn, NY), Jim Gallucci (Greensboro, NC), Robert Roesch (Philadelphia), and Christine Rojek (Chicago, IL) were chosen on the basis of their past work and artist statements by the Destination Frankford selection jury to complete a design for a gateway sculpture in Womrath Park. Each artist will show images of their proposal and will entertain questions from the audience. Ian Litwin (Project Manager), Marsha Moss (Public Art Consultant), and Leslie Kaufman (Art Director) will be on hand to answer any additional questions.One artist will be chosen by the jury to fabricate and install the winning project, expected to be completed in November, 2014. A light dinner will be provided, and those interested in attending are encouraged to RSVP to Leslie Kaufman at lesliekaufman@v erizon.net by January 22. This will be the only opportunity to see the final proposals before the selection is made, so make sure you are a part of this exciting event!
- Frankford Garden Club – Mon, January 27, 6:30pm – 7:30pm, Wissinoming Park Playground
- Senior Breakfast – Tue, January 28, 8am – 10am, Aria Health, Frankford – 2nd floor cafeteria – Aria will provide our community seniors with monthly, insightful tips and information on issues that are directly affecting you and your health. Breakfast will be provided free of charge. To reserve your seat call 1-877-808-2742 and then press 2.
- Monthly Birthday Party – Tue, January 28, 11:45am – 12:45pm, Peter Bressi Northeast Senior Center 4744 Frankford Ave – Come celebrate your birthday! We have a monthly birthday party. Join us for cake, ice cream, lunch, and live entertainment! Free of charge
- Frankford Parks Group – Tue, January 28, 6:30pm – 7:30pm, CDC Building, 4900 Griscom St.
- Northeast Philadelphia EPIC Stakeholders Group – Thu, January 30, 2014, 5:30pm – 7:30pm, 2nd Baptist Church, 1801 Meadow Street
- Grand Army of the Republic Museum Open House – Sun, February 2, 12pm – 5pm, 4278 Griscom Street – Presentation at 1:30 PM
- Friends of Overington Park – Wed, February 5, 7pm – 8pm, Historical Society of Frankford, 1507 Orthodox St
- Frankford Civic Association Meeting – Thu, February 6, 7pm – 8pm, Aria Hospital, 2nd floor