This is the first in a series of a monthly feature authored by Richard Johnson. It began running in the print edition of the Gazette in January.
Richard is a retiree living in the Meadow House and a proud veteran of the U. S. Army. It was his concept and am publishing it for him, although I wish I had thought of it myself.
We are compiling a list of the names of veterans who are from Frankford. If you would like yourself or anyone listed please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with their name and branch of service. Also indicate if they are living or have passed on. We will publish the complete list on November 11th Veterans Day.
Veteran of the month is Guy D. Lewis.
Guy D. Lewis retired after 22 years of service in the U.S. Army. Last rank held was Major. He was eligible for promotion to Lt. Colonel.
Bachelor of Science, Nursing from Temple University (2001) MS with a major in Health Education from Saint Joseph’s University (2006) Professional Background
* 21 plus years as a Registered Nurse
* 16 years in the operating-room at Temple University Hospital
* 16 year member of a Level 1 Trauma Center’s Trauma Team
* Certified as a trauma provider since 1991
* 6 years in physical rehabilitation (brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, strokes, pressure sores, amputations and other disabilities)
* Worked simultaneously in ICU, step down Unit, ED and an extended care facility throughout career
* 18 plus years in the US Army Nurse Corps as a 66H Medical Surgical Nurse), 66J (Clinic Nurse), & 66E (Perioperative Nurse)
* Interim Commander of the 625th Forward Surgical Team
* 16 years as an American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support Instructor
* 8 years as a state certified Emergency Medical Technician (Ambulance)
* Produces Annual Black History Celebration. Teaches CPR and first aid to Scouts, church groups, day care center staff, and community residents – Conducts physical examinations for the Frankford Chargers Organization. – Coached little league basketball at the Northeast Boys & Girls Club – Northeast Boys & Girls Club Volunteer— Sponsored a food & clothing drive for the less fortunate—Board member of the Metropolitan Boys & Girls Clubs of America— Vice President of the Northeast Boys & Girls Club, Men’s Club.
We Salute the following veterans for their service:
Tillman Avery—Navy *
John Berry —Army
Floyd R. Coleman—Marines
Charles Pittman—Air Force
Robert Smiley—Air Force
Robert Turner Sr.—Marines*