Posted on

Sharks, Sharks, Sharks in Frankford Creek

A few weeks ago I mentioned that we are looking for contributors of all kinds.  Since then, I have received several submissions and all of them are interesting.  The following story was submitted by Peter Dawson who grew up in Northwood and has a wealth of stories to tell.  We’ll feature more of his in the weeks to  come.

About  50  years,  probably  around  1962,  when  we  were  little  kids  in  the  Northwood  section  of  Frankford,    our  friend  Nicky  Macko  went  to  the  Jersey  shore  on  a  fishing  trip  with  his  dad.  When  he  returned  a  week-or-so  later,  he  invited  us  over  to  his  house,  and,  lo  and  behold,  in  his  bathtub  upstairs  he  had  a  large  live  sand  shark.  “My  dad  says  that  we  shouldn’t  be  taking  baths  with  a  shark.  So,  he  ordered  me  to  ‘do  something  with  it,  today.'”

We  resolved  to  get  a  galvanized  steel  cleaning  tub.  We  loaded  the  tub  onto  our  Radio  Flyer  wagon,  and  used  the  garden  hose  to  fill  it  with  about  30  gallons  of  cold  water.    We  picked  up  the  live  shark  from  the  bathtub  and  wrapped  it  with  a  small  blanket,  and  we  carried  the  struggling,  angry  animal  in  the  blanket  downstairs  and  out  the  back  door,  and  then  dumped  it  into  the  tub.    Then  we  carefully  pulled  our  “emergency  shark  aquarium”  in  the  wagon  down  Castor  Avenue  to  Adams,  up  Adams  to  Ramona,  and  down  Ramona  to  Fishers  Lane,  to  the  old  stone  bridge  over  Frankford  Creek.

Even  back  in  those  days,  in  the  early  1960s,  Frankford  Creek  was  environmentally  challenged.    We  worried  about  how  our  friend  the  shark  would  fair  in  the  foamy  depths  of  the  creek.    We  picked  it  up  on  the  blanket,  and  carried  it  down  the  slope,  as  in  a  stretcher,  and  plopped  the  shark  into  the  water.

Fishers Lane Bridge photo courtesy of Fred Moore

The  shocked  shark  swam  in  one  place  for  a  moment  —  and  then  it  shot  through  the  water  in  the  direction  of  Friend’s  Hospital.

I  remember  thinking  to  myself,    “I  wonder  what  the  staff  at  Friend’s  Hospital  will  think  if  a  psychiatric  patient  strolling  along  the  creek  comes  running  back  to  his  ward,  in  a  panic,    reporting  that  he  has  just  seen  a  shark!”

Peter  J.  Dawson