Posted on

Nukes in Northwood?

Here is another recollection from Peter J. Dawson about growing up in Frankford:

As  Americans  fret  endlessly  about  whether  spent  nuclear  fuel  and  other  radioactive  waste  can  be  moved  from  nuclear  power  plants  through  their  towns,    they  never  stop  to  consider  how  the  radioactive  materials,  including  nuclear  weapons,  get  to  their  sites.

In  1960,  when  I  was  7  years  of  age,  our  family  lived  on  Wakeling  Street  in  the  Northwood  section  of  Frankford,  near  Rutland  Street.  I  was  just  then  becoming  dimly  aware  of  the  Cold  War,  of  the  “us  versus  them”  ideology  pervading  the  thinking  of  the  era,  and  of  the  existence  of  nuclear  weapons  atop  missiles  aimed  at  each  side  by  the  other.

One  night  in  the  Summer  of  1960,  sometime  after  midnight,  I  was  sound  asleep  in  our  bedroom,  when  a  loud  rumbling  outside  the  windows  awakened  me.  Our  family  had  no  air  conditioning  in  those  days.  So,  as  I  sleepily  climbed  out  of  bed,  I  thought,  “Wow!    What  a  hot  night!    I  can’t  close  the  windows.  It’s  going  to  be  hard  getting  back  to  sleep  with  that  noise  outside.  What  is  making  that  noise?”

I  looked  out  the  window  facing  the  back  yard  and  Allengrove  Street,    saw  nothing,  and  walked  into  the  bedroom  where  my  parents  were  sound  asleep.

Looking  out  the  window  toward  the  intersection  of  Wakeling  and  Rutland,    I  saw  an  astonishing  site:    There,  illuminated  by  the  street  light  on  the  corner,  was  a  huge  flatbed  truck,  motor  rumbling  in  idle,    bearing  a  giant  white  rocket.    The  nose  cone  of  the  rocket  on  the  flatbed  was  pointed  forwards,  toward  the  front  of  the  truck.  The  rear  two  thirds  of  the  rocket  was  covered  with  a  light-colored  tarp.  From  the  shape  of  the  tarp  it  was  clear  that  the  rocket  had  wings  and  a  tail.    I  could  actually  see  the  front  one-third  of  the  rocket,  from  just  in  front  of  the  wings  to  the  nose  cone  which  I  found  out  years  later  normally  bore  a  10  kiloton  nuclear  weapon.

As  I  stood  there  looking  out  the  window,  transfixed  by  the  sight,  I  saw  what  were  probably  Air  Force  ordnance  supply  personnel  standing  outside  the  truck,  looking  at  a  map  with  a  flashlight,  arguing.    I  thought,  in  my  7-year-old-kid  way,  “THE  GOVERNMENT  SECRETLY  MOVES  ROCKETS  AROUND  THE  STREETS  AT  NIGHT!”

I  told  my  family  about  it  the  next  day.    I  think  that  they  thought  that  I  had  been  dreaming.

The  memory  of  the  huge  missile  on  the  flatbed  truck  at  Wakeling  and  Rutland  Streets  stayed  with  me.    41  years  later,  in  November  or  December,  2001,    I  was  an  attorney  in  Camden  County,  New  Jersey,  court  room.  A  man  unrelated  to  the  case  being  tried  in  the  courtroom  sat  in  the  back,  staring  at  me.  When  court  was  finished,    and  I  packed-up  my  brief  case  and  put  on  my  hat  and  began  to  walk  out,    the  man  jumped  out  of  his  seat  and  walked  over  to  me.  “You  look  like  a  pretty  good  attorney.  Will  you  sit  down  with  me  while  I  tell  you  an  amazing  story?”

And,  to  my  most  intense  astonishment,  he  began  to  tell  me  the  complex  story  behind  “the  lost  nuclear  missile  of  Frankford,”  41  years  before.

As  the  Cold  War  intensified  in  the  1950s, the  federal  government,  afraid  of  nuclear-bomb-toting    long  range  Soviet  bombers,    began  to  protect  large  cities  on  the  East  Coast  with  BOMARC  Missile  sites.  Philadelphia  was  protected  by  a  BOMARC  Missile  base  on  land  in  Fort  Dix,  New  Jersey,  leased  to  the  Air  Force  on  Plumsted  Township,  on  Route  539  just  north  of  Route  70,  on  the  northern  bank  of  a  creek  in  the  top  of  the  Toms  River  watershed  called  Elisha  Branch.

The  BOMARC  Missile  was  an  anti-aircraft  missile,  a  little  under  50  feet  in  length,  designed  to  carry  a  10  kiloton  nuclear  device  to  an  altitude  of  60,000  feet  and  incinerate  dozens  of  enemy  bombers  at  once  with  one  big  blast.

The  BOMARC  Missile’s  engines  were  very  advanced  for  the  time  —  functionally,    the  same  technology    powering  the  almost  mythological  Aurora  spy  plane  of  our  day.    A  conventional  rocket  motor  lifted  the  BOMARC  off  the  ground  and  accelerated  the  rocket  to  a  very  high  speed.    When  the  vehicle  was  going  fast  enough  to  deliver  sufficient  oxygen  to  them,  two  ramjet  jet  engines  took  over  and  propelled  the  BOMARC  Missile  to  its  target  at  well  over  2,000  mph.

Inside  each  BOMARC  engine  was  a  tank  of  highly  compressed  helium  gas,  for  driving  liquid  propellant  into  the  engines.

On  June  7,  1960,  at  about  3:15  p.m.,  inside  Missile  Shelter  #204  in  the  Fort  Dix  BOMARC  complex,  a  hidden  weakness  in  the  wall  of  the  helium  tank  in  the  BOMARC  Missile  there  gave  way  to  the  enormous  pressures  within  —  probably  about  3,000  pounds  per  square  inch.    The  explosion  in  the  rear  of  the  rocket  started  a  fire,  which  spread  to  the  nuclear  weapon  in  the  nose  cone.

Nuclear  weapons  aren’t  like  gunpowder.  You  don’t  set  them  off  with  a  string-like  fuse  you  light  with  a  match.    They  don’t  generate  a  nuclear  explosion  in  the  presence  of  fire.      Achieving  a  nuclear  blast  is  a  very  hard  thing  to  do.  But,  nuclear  weapons  in  those  days  were  jammed  with  extraordinarily  volatile  components  —  very  flammable  high  explosives  for  ramming  fissionables  together,    and,  frequently,  very  flammable  hydrogen  isotopes  to  enhance  the  bang  when  the  nuclear  weapon  goes  off,  encased  in  a  very  flammable  Styrofoam  carriage  next  to  the  bomb  core.

So,  the  Fort  Dix  BOMARC  fire  was  a  mess.    The  explosion  and  fire  blew  the  roof  off  the  shelter.  While  dozens  of  volunteer  firefighters  from  surrounding  towns  struggled  to  douse  the  extremely  hot  rocket  engine  and  nose  cone  fire,  liquefied  radioactive  materials  dripped  to  the  ground,  while  heat  and  explosions  shot  other  materials  hither  and  yon  around  the  site.  Water  sprayed  by  firemen  onto  the  fire  spread  radioactive  materials  even  farther.    Volunteer  firefighters  became  anxious  when  federal  hazmat  crews  showed  up  in  green  suits  with  oxygen  packs.  They  thought,    “Is  it  safe  to  breath  the  air  near  this  fire?”

Some  time  after  the  fire,    a  replacement  BOMARC  Missile  was  shipped-in  from  another  location.  That’s  probably  what  I  saw  that  night  from  the  upstairs  bedroom    of  our  house  —  an  Air  Force  ordnance  crew  hauling  the  brand  new  BOMARC  Missile,  looking  for  the  best  route  to  one  of  the  bridges  crossing-over  to  New  Jersey.  Unfamiliar  with  the area,    and  desperate  to  get  to  one  of  the  Delaware  bridges  before  sunrise,    drove  off  the  north-bound  lanes  of  Roosevelt  Boulevard,  probably  at  Foulkrod  Street,  and  became  worried  as  Foulkrod  narrowed  at  Rutland.  Desperate  for  a  way  out  of  all  of  those  neighborhoods,    they  drove  noisily  up  Rutland  Street  to  Wakeling  Street  and  stopped  to  argue  over  where  they  were  on  the  map,  while  a  little  boy,  awakened  by  the  noise,  secretly  looked  down  on  them  from  the  bedroom  above.

The  man  who  approached  me  in  court  that  day  in  2001,  41  years  later,    told  me  that  in  the  ensuing  months,  many  of  the  firefighters  died,  probably  from  radiation  poisoning,  and  the  government  quietly  paid  damages  to  their  families.

He  said  that  the  government  decided  to  seal  the  plutonium  which  had  melted  and  dripped  from  the  warhead  into  the  ground  by  covering  the  area  with  a  large  concrete  pad  —  not  a  bad  idea,  really,  since  plutonium,  though  not  normally  water  soluble,  could  have  been  driven  from  the  site  by  rain  water  run-off,  and  the  pad  would  keep  flowing  water  from  washing  the  plutonium  deeper  into  the  ground.    Also,    plants  love  heavy  metals.    The  pad  would  keep  plant  roots  from  taking  plutonium  into  the  above-ground  portions  of  the  plants,  making  it  available  for  birds  and  other  animals  to  eat,  spreading  it  further,  and  perhaps[s  causing  plutonium  to  enter  the  food  chain..

But,  along  came  acid  rain,  generated  by  industrial  smokestacks  to  the  west  and  north,  and  carried  eastward  by  prevailing  winds.  Acid  rain  causes  plutonium  to  form  the  only  known  water-soluble  plutonium  salt.    As  more  and  more  acid  rain  fell  on  the  Pine  Barrens  around  Fort  Dix,    the  plutonium  began  to  dissolve  into  the  groundwater  —  and  flow  into  a  local  creek  called  Elisha  Branch  at  the  top  of  the  Toms  River  watershed,  and  then  into  the  estuary  called  Toms  River,  next  to  the  town  of  the  same  name.

In  the  1990s,  health  authorities  noticed  an  odd  increase  in  the  incidence  of  cancer  among  children  in  the  Toms  River  area,  called  the  Toms  River  Cluster.

Among  other  things,  scientists  working  for  the  government  wondered  if  the  BOMARC  site  was  leaching  plutonium  into  the  water,  and  discovered  that  acid  rain  was  enabling  exactly  that.

My  client,  who  was  connected  with  the  effort  to  investigate  the  acid  rain  problem,    told  me  that  the  Toms  River  Cluster  families  were  involved  in  a  giant  lawsuit  against  Ciba-Geigy,  Union  Carbide  and  Toms  River  Water  Company,  that  in  his  opinion  they  were  suing  the  wrong  party,  and  that  the  government  should  be  a  Defendant  in  that  lawsuit.  He  asked  me to  tell  Cluster victim  lawyers  about  the  BOMARC  plutonium.

I  responded  that  though  plutonium  was  very  dangerous,  and  it  had  an  extremely  long  half-life  —  in  down-to-earth  terms,  it  sits  around  being  radioactive  for  about  24,000  years  —  just  finding  that  it  was  dissolving  in  acid  rain  in  Plumsted  Township  was  probably  not  a  strong  enough  of  a  connection  to  the  cancer  cluster  a  few  miles  away  to  generate  government  liability.  But,  I  promised  to  call  the  lawyers.

I  did.    They  responded  that  they  were  about  to  settle  the  case  with  Ciba-Geigy,  Union  Carbide  and  Toms  River  Water Company,  and  so  they  didn’t  want  to  hear  about  the  government  as  another  Defendant  in  the  case.  It  would  just  give  the  other  Defendants  someone  else  to  blame.

So,  nothing  came  of  it.  But  suddenly,  after  41  years,  I  knew  why  I  saw  a  10  kiloton  nuclear  missile  on  a  flatbed  lost  in  Frankford  that  night.