Posted on

The Terrifying Railroad Staple Machine Guns

One  of  the  centers  of   kid  activity   in  Frankford  in  the  1960s  was  “The  Lot,”  the  tract    of  ground  between  Rutland  Street,  Foulkrod  Street,    Castor  Avenue  and  Harrison  Street.      Back  then,    a  railroad  track   ran  along  the  top  of  the  embankment   on   the  Castor  Avenue  side  of  “ The  Lot,”    from   a  small  bridge   at  the  Castor   Avenue / Harrison  Street   corner    to  a  small   bridge   spanning  Foulkrod  Street    between  Castor  and  Rutland.    In  that  era,   small  freight  trains   still  used  the  track   to  carry   goods   in  box  cars   down  to  what  was  left  of  industrial  activity   down  in  the  Kensington  and  Allegheny    area.

In  the  early  1960s,  the   tennis  courts  you  see  there  today  did  not  exist.      Instead,  along  Harrison  Street,  there  was  just  a  large  open  field  where  we  used  to  play    touch   or  tackle  football.      Between  the   open  field  and  the  railroad  embankment   was   the  section  known  as  “The  Weeds,”    the  real  center  of  our  collective   juvenile  attention.    The  area  called   “The  Weeds”   was  comprised   of   a  vast,  dense  forest  of   the  tallest,  greenest-smelling  ragweed  you  ever  encountered,  punctuated  by   chouchun trees,   that  invasive  tropical  looking   species  with  woody  stems  from  China,  Ailanthus altissima,   seen  growing  everywhere  in  urban  areas  these  days,   which   we  called  “bow-and-arrow  trees”  because  that  is  what  we  used  to  make  out  of  them.    We  walked   trails  and  tunnels  through  the  ragweed  forest   which  took  us  to  interesting   piles  of  debris  dumped  in  the  weeds  by  contractors,  and  to  the  “forts”  we  dug  into  the  ground  and  covered-over  with  contractor  debris.

On  the  other  side  of   “The  Lot”    was  the  large,  neat   organic  garden    of  hardworking  Old  Man  Schepis,    and  beyond  that  “The  Garages,”     the  complex   of   rented  brick  garages  fronting  on  Rutland  Street  near  Foulkrod,  whose  walls  can  be  seen  to  be  collapsing  inward  today.

We  used  to  don  our  sneakers,    and   yell  to  our  parents  on  Saturdays,  “Mom!  Dad!  We’re  going  to  go  play  at  ‘The  Lot’!”   And  then  we  would  go  down  there  and   manufacture  bows  and  arrows  and  build  forts  and  set-off   homemade  explosives  in  holes   (to  insure  that  shrapnel   shot  upwards,  not  sideways).  We  weren’t  very  safe.  But,  we  survived.

There  was  a  lot  of  World  War  II  army  surplus  in   Philly   in  those  days.     Dennis  and   Daniel  Grassi,  who  used  to  live  up  on  Large  Street,   would  show  up   with  an  astonishing  array  of   genuine   surplus  weaponry  (all  rendered  inoperable  before  sale)    —   M-1  rifles,  Browning  Automatic  Rifles  with  bipod  legs  to  support  the  barrel,    a  bazooka,    hand  grenades  and,  on  one  occasion,  a  Thompson   machine  gun  with  the  circular  ammo  container.     Everyone  wanted  to  hold  the  Thompson.  Nowadays,  someone  carrying  such  items  in  public  in  our  terrorism-sensitive   society   could  not  avoid  arrest.    Back  then,  the  owners  of  such  an  “arsenal”  were  the  envy  of   every  kid  in  Frankford.   We  would  show  up  at  “The  Lot”   with  our  Army  surplus  weaponry,  try  to  talk  the  Grassi  boys   into  a  trade  for  the  day,    and  stage  wars.     A  few  of  us  would   always  reluctantly  consent  to  being  Nazis.

We  loved  climbing  the  embankment  up  to  the  railroad  tracks.    Before  hang  gliding  became  an  American  “thing,”     we  tried  like  the  dickens  to  achieve  flight  from  the  top  of  that  embankment,  with  homemade  fixed  wings   and   giant  kites.   One  of  us  kids  —  one  of  the  guys  from  St.  Martin’s  School  on  Oxford  Circle,   I  don’t  remember  exactly   who  —   broke  his  leg   in  one  of  the  crash  landings.  We  never  achieved  flight.  But  we  were  happy.

The  biggest  thrill  of  all  was  stupidity  multiplied  by   a  hundred  —  hiding  in  the  weeds  along  the  railroad  tracks,     as  close  as  possible  to  the   railroad  trains  thundering  by  a  few  feet  away,   without  being  seen.

The  reason  why  getting   close to  the  train   without  being  seen  was  a  big  thing   in  those  days   had  nothing  at  all   to  do  with  the  very  real  danger  being  run  over   by   a   freight    train.      It  was  because  of  a  rumor  going  around  among  the  kids  that  railroad    trains   along  that  freight  line   were  manned  with  cruel  “railroad  police”    armed  with  frightening    “staple  machine   guns”  that  could  shoot  out  staples  in  a  machine-gun-like  fashion  at  kids  caught  playing  near  the  trains.    The  rumor  was  that  railroad  personnel  had  a  kind  of  “license  to  staple,”   and  would   cover  us  with  painful  staples,  legally,   at  the  drop  of  a  hat.       Once  I  was  over  at  Grassi’s  with  Den  and  Dan   and  I  heard  Mrs.  Grassi    warn  her  sons  about  the   railroad  police  with  their  staple  guns.     Aghast,  I  thought,  “So!  It’s  true!”

When  first  one  kid  and  then   another  courageously  crawled  into  the  weeds  next  to  the  tracks  while  a  freight  train  passed,      and  then  came  back  without  being  stapled,    he  was  a  hero  for  weeks.   Finally  I  did  it,   and  I  repeated  the  story   of  my  bravado  to  friends   while  some  of  them   stared  at  me  open-mouthed.      And  I  guess   that  used-up  my   allotted  15  minutes  of   fame.