Posted on

Teasing the Russians of Frankford

From  about  1978  to  1981,   I  lived  in  a  first  floor  apartment  in   a  brick  building  on  Penn  Street  near  the  Margaret  and  Orthodox  Station  of  the  Frankford  El.

A  late-20s  couple  with  a  skinny  little  blonde  daughter,  about  5  years  of  age,  lived  upstairs.   About  once  a  week,    the  father,  who  worked  nights,  would  scream  with  insane  anger  at  the  wife  beginning  at  about  10:30  p.m.,  and  then  I  would  hear  him  stomp   down  the  steps,  slam  the  door   with  seismic  force,  and  get  in  his  truck  and  go  to  work;   and  then  I  would  hear   the  mother   scream  with  insane  anger  at  their  little  daughter  —   a  very  clear  case  of    “pecking  order  abuse.”  On  one  occasion  after  the  father  left,   I  heard  a  loud  smack  after  the  mother  finished  screaming  at   little  blonde  girl.       The  little  girl  showed  up  on  her  tricycle  the  next  day  with  half  of  her  face  black-and-blue.    A  neighbor  called   the  child  protection  unit  in  Philadelphia  Department  of  Human  Services   before  I  could.   The  memories  of  that  little  girl  haunt  me  to  this  day,  and   I  always  become  extremely  upset  at  child  abuse  and  feel  the  urge  to  scream,  “PARENTS,  HUG  THEM,  DON’T  HIT  THEM!”

There  was  one  other  problem  with  that   apartment:    The  demonically-possessed  roach.   It  was  a   big  one  —   big  enough  to  put  a  saddle  on  and   take  for  a  ride  around  the  block.   There  were  no  other  roaches  or  other  unpleasant  critters  in  that  apartment.  Just  that  one  roach.   And  it  seemed  deeply  intelligent,  and  impossible  to  catch  and  kill.   It  was  always  peeking  around  corners  at  me,  and  then  when  I  would  move  to  kill  it,  it  would  be  gone.  I  worried  about  whether  it  would  make  an  appearance   when  my  girlfriend  was  visiting.   Once   when  I  got  up  for  work  in  the  morning   and  pulled  on  my  robe  and  stood  in  front  of  the  bathroom  mirror  to  shave,  I  felt  an  itch  on  my  right  shoulder,  and   scratched  it  through  the  robe,  and  guess  who   climbed  up  out  of  my  robe  onto  my  face.    Oooooh,    did  I  freak  out!   I  swatted  my  face  repeatedly,  screaming.      The  little  so-and-so    fell  to  the  floor,  ran  out  of  the  bathroom  and   disappeared.

One  day,  after  a  hard  day’s  work  at  the  Philadelphia  DA’s  Office,    I  came  home,    went  into  the  kitchen  and  turned  on  the  fire  beneath  my  tea  pot.    As  I   turned  to   leave  the  kitchen,  I  heard  an  odd   fluttering  sound    and  looked  back.      There  was  something  alive,  there,   in  the  flames  next  to  the  gas   burner  on the  stove  beneath  the  tea  pot.  It  was  the  demonic  roach,  wings  afire!      I  jubilantly  thought,  “Ah-HAH!”   I  raced  over  to  the  stove  and  turned  up  the  fire  full  blast,  and  I  incinerated   the  little  beast,  and    I  am  certain  that  he  was  afterwards  consigned  by  God  to  even  hotter  fires  in   Hell  forever.

On  days  when  I  walked  beneath  the  Frankford  El   to  go  shopping  in   the  stores  on  Frankford  Avenue,  I  would  frequently  overhear  Russian  immigrants   speaking  their  native  language  as  they  strolled  on  the  sidewalk  near  me.    Though  I  couldn’t  pick-up  much  of  what  they  were  saying,  I  understood  a  word  here  and  there.     A  CIA  recruiter  who  had  visited  the  DA’s   Office  some  months  before   had   suggested  that  I  learn   Russian   before   I  apply  for  a  position  in  the  CIA,  and  so  in  those  days  I  was   taking  a  post-graduate  course  in  Russian  at  St.  Joseph’s  University,  my  alma  mater.  But   as  I  overheard  my  Russian  neighbors  after  my  move  to  Penn  Street,  I  was  not  yet   sufficiently  “up  to  speed”  in  the  comprehension  department   to  follow   normal  Russian  conversation.

Once,   when  I   worked  very  late,  I   was  coming  home   in  the  wee  hours  of  the  morning  on  the  Market  Street  Subway  portion  of  the  Frankford  El.     I   had  boarded  the  Frankford-bound  subway  at 15th Street.     The  car  was  empty.    I  picked  a  seat    and  opened  my  Philadelphia  Inquirer.  At  13th Street,    a  large  group  of   ladies  crowded  onto  the  train.   They  were  clearly  the  ladies   who  cleaned  the  offices  in  the  office  buildings  in   center  city  Philadelphia  late  at  night.  All  of  the  ladies  crowding  on to  my  car  were  speaking  Russian.   It  occurred  to  me  that   these  ladies  were  from  the  same  enclave  of  Russian-speaking  immigrants  as  the    people   whom    I  had  heard  speaking  Russian   in  my  neighborhood  near  the  Margaret-and-Orthodox  El  Station.   One  of  them  was  young  and  very  pretty.  The  others   were  middle-aged  babushkas  —  Russian  women,  middle-aged  or  older,     nicknamed  for   their  traditional  headgear,  the  babushka,  or  kerchief.  The  babushkas  were   doing  all  of  the  talking.  Although  I  still  couldn’t  follow  conversational  Russian  very  well,      I  could  tell  that  the  talk  was   risqué,  and  about  the  pretty  girl,  who  kept  smiling  guiltily,  and  blushing,  blushing,  blushing.

As  the  Russian  ladies  ignored  me,  it  dawned  on  me  that  they  were  assuming,  because  I  was  reading  an   English  language  newspaper,  that   I  could  not  understand  a  word  they  were  saying.     And,  for  the  most  part,  that  was  true.

But  I  realized  that  the  situation  was  nonetheless  ripe  for  a  good  Russian  language  practical  joke.

As  the  train  pulled  into  the  Margaret  and  Orthodox  Station,    I  got  up  from  my  seat,  and  as  I   began  to  squeeze  past  the   ladies  to   get  to  the  sliding  doors  I  said  a  single  Russian  term  out  loud…

Izz-vin-EE-tyah!”  —  “Excuse  me!”

All  of  the  ladies  looked  up  in  astonishment.      The  young  pretty  lady  blushed  blood  red  and  looked  at  me  with  an  uncertain   smile.  The  babushka  who  had  talked  longest  and  loudest   covered  her  mouth  with  her  hand.  And  I  smiled  broadly.