- Historical Society of Frankford program – Tue, September 9, 7:30pm – 9:00pm, 1507 Orthodox St. – FRANKFORD’s FAITH LEGACY: Historic St Joachim’s Church presented by Patricia Smiley “Keep the Faith in Frankford” For almost 170 years, the history of St. Joachim Church has been intertwined with the history of Frankford. Join us for a look at the past, the present and the future of the Church and its people who earned the name, “The Mother Church of the Northeast” The building of St. Joachim Church was delayed because of the 1844 religious riots in the city. But the faith of both clergy and laity persevered and St. Joachim would bolster both Frankford and the rapidly developing Catholic communities of NE Philadelphia. We would experience a booming economic period that supported a flourishing community. However, the looming loss of jobs from our local industries was on the horizon. Frankford would be beset, as all urban areas have been, of its citizen’s infatuation with open spaces, tract homes and large shopping centers. People left, people stayed yet based on the Pew Charitable Trusts, “A City Transformed”, released in June 2011, Frankford’s population has grown by 20% making Frankford one of the most diverse areas of our city. We invite you to participate in retracing this journey!
- Neighborhood Advisory Committee Meeting – Thu, September 11, 7pm – 8pm, 2nd Baptist Church, 1801 Meadow St.
- Art Under the Trees – Sat, September 13, 12pm – 3pm, Overington Park, Orthodox and Leiper Streets- We will have local crafts people show and sell their work, refreshments, and of course our Chalk Art contest for those under 18. Prizes will be given in 4 age categories . Please come out and support your park and cheer on the local artists in your community!
- Grand Army of the Republic Museum Open House – Sun, September 14, 12pm – 5pm, 4278 Griscom Street – Presentation at 1:30 PM: Dr. Sid Copel Civil War Aviation
- Friends of Overington Park – Tue, September 16, 7pm – 8pm, In Overington Park by the tool shed – In good weather we meet in the park by the tool shed. In bad weather we meet at 1500 Orthodox St. in the Frankford Friends Meeting house.
- Northwood Civic Association Meeting – Tue, September 16, 7pm – 8pm, St. James Lutheran Church, at Castor Avenue and Pratt Street.
- Open house for the martial arts program – Fri, September 19, 6:30pm – 9:00pm, Simpson Recreation Center, 1010 Arrott St. – Come signup and see a demonstration of the program. Call us at 215-685-1223 or email us at simpsonrecctr@h
- Hope4PhillyConvoy of Hope –Sat, September 20, 11am – 5pm – We serve guests of honor–in dozens of communities throughout the world–by providing them with free groceries, health and dental screenings, haircuts, family portraits, meals and much more.
- Frankford Garden Club – Mon, September 22, 6:30pm – 7:30pm, Wissinoming Park Playground
- Frankford Parks Group – Tue, September 23, 6:30pm – 7:30pm, CDC Building, 4900 Griscom St.
- Registration for Girl Scout and Tot soccer for kids ages – Thu, September 25, 5:30pm – 8:30pm, Simpson Recreation Center, 1010 Arrott St – call us at 215-685-1223 or email us at simpsonrecctr@h
otmail.com for more information
- Northeast Philadelphia EPIC Stakeholders Group – Thu, September 25, 5:30pm – 7:30pm, 2nd Baptist Church, 1801 Meadow Street
- PSA1 Meeting – Thu, September 25, 7pm – 8pm, Aria Hospital, 4900 Frankford Ave – Captain McCloskey will attend
- HIV and Hepatitis C Testing – Sun, September 28, 11am – 4pm, St. Mark’s Church, 4442 Frankford Avenue – Philly Faith in Action was brings the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and Drexel University with their mobile medical center to St Marks for rapid HIV and hepatitis C testing, counseling and follow up care. They will be here the 2nd Saturday of every month.
- Senior Breakfast – Tue, September 30, 8am – 10am, Aria Health, Frankford – 2nd floor cafeteria – Aria will provide our community seniors with monthly, insightful tips and information on issues that are directly affecting you and your health. Breakfast will be provided free of charge. To reserve your seat call 1-877-808-2742 and then press 2.
- Nature’s Hidden Surprises – Wed, October 1, 9:30am – 11:00am, Tacony Creek Park, I and Ramona – Themed nature walk with TTF environmental educator Judith Gratz
- Frankford Civic Association Meeting – Thu, October 2, 7pm – 8pm, Aria Hospital, 2nd floor