As part of the Tookany/Tacony-Frankford (TTF) Watershed Partnership‘s “Trails Through Time” series, local author and historian Fred Maurer presented a history of Whitaker Mill in Tacony Creek Park at the Historical Society of Frankford on Saturday evening, July 18th. With photographs, newspaper articles, and an engaging slide presentation, Fred shared the evolution of Henry Whitaker’s textile mill, built in 1813 at Cedar Grove along Tacony Creek. Those in the audience, many of whom live in the area adjacent to the original mill, enjoyed refreshments and the opportunity to view some of the Historical Society of Frankford’s items related to the Mill.
Follow this link to a blog post by
The TTF Watershed Partnership, located in the repurposed Globe Dye Works at 4500 Worth Street in Frankford, shared maps and information on their ongoing efforts to improve the health and vitality of the watershed neighborhood by engaging communities in education, stewardship, restoration, and advocacy.
More information is available at www.frankfordhistoricalsociety.org and www.ttfwatershed.org.