Posted on

Historic Graveyard Tour at All Saints Torresdale

All Saints Church Torresdale Hosts Historic Graveyard Tour for Flag House D.A.R.

The members of FLAG HOUSE CHAPTER, Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), were the guests of the History Committee of ALL SAINTS EPISCOPAL CHURCH TORRESDALE on a bright and balmy Saturday afternoon, April 16th, for a history tour of the church and its graveyard.

Flag House Chapter Regent Pamela Rivera was joined by officers, members and prospective members, including Christie Link, Patricia Coyne, Kathleen Zielinski, Colleen Kolakowski, Joyce Mosley, Wendy Lenhart, Erin Rodgers Schmidt, Peg Dungan Barr and Sonia Abrams Bostic.

After Regent Rivera opened the Flag House meeting with the DAR Patriotic Ritual and reading of the NSDAR President General and National Defense reports, All Saints Episcopal Church Torresdale History Chairman Debbie Klak introduced her committee members: Carol Rifkin, Suzanne Scourfield, Sandy Pytlewski, and Hilda Vertlieb.

The group learned of the church’s history, pre-dating the American Revolution, and viewed some of its architectural features in an entertaining and enlightening program presented by Ms Klak and her committee. Then it was out to the graveyard – where enchanting stories of many souls and their final resting places were related. Highlights included graves of Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and Civil War soldiers.

Finally, invigorated by the trek through the mid-18th century portion of the church’s expansive graveyard, all shared in a bountiful buffet of savory and sweet luncheon treats – and continued to share stories of their own Revolutionary War ancestors.

Slideshow at this link.

If you believe you might be descended from a Revolutionary War patriot, feel free to contact Flag House Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution at to learn more about the opportunities available.

Posted on

TTF Watershed program on Whitaker Mill at Historical Society of Frankford

As part of the Tookany/Tacony-Frankford (TTF) Watershed Partnership‘s “Trails Through Time” series, local author and historian Fred Maurer presented a history of Whitaker Mill in Tacony Creek Park at the Historical Society of Frankford on Saturday evening, July 18th.   With photographs, newspaper articles, and an engaging slide presentation, Fred shared the evolution of Henry Whitaker’s textile mill, built in 1813 at Cedar Grove along Tacony Creek.  Those in the audience, many of whom live in the area adjacent to the original mill, enjoyed refreshments and the opportunity to view some of the Historical Society of Frankford’s items related to the Mill.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Follow this link to a blog post by   for more information and some great photos from Fred’s presentation.


The TTF Watershed Partnership, located in the repurposed Globe Dye Works at 4500 Worth Street in Frankford, shared maps and information on their ongoing efforts to improve the health and vitality of the watershed neighborhood by engaging communities in education, stewardship, restoration, and advocacy.

More information is available at and