There were a dozen residents at the Frankford Civic Association meeting on December 3rd.
The meeting started with a recap of upcoming events.
- The Civic volunteered, along with Keep the Faith in Frankford, at Dining with Dignity at St. Marks Church on December 9th. 110 diners were served a meal of shepherds pie.
- December 12th the 15th Police District Advisory Council will serve dinner to all shifts of the police officers on duty. Volunteers are welcome to help out.
- December 19th the PDAC and Barbera on the Boulevard will sponsor a gun buy back. See this link for details.
- December 21st is the monthly PDAC meeting.
- December 17th at 7PM at Aria Hospital is the monthly 15th District PSA1 meeting.
- Pete Specos invites everyone to drive by his Christmas Land display at 4287 Orchard Street. Follow this link for a preview.
Discussion about current issues focused on the demolition at Frankford and Torresdale. The old Edgewater Dye works buildings were partially removed a few months ago. The multi story masonry building is still standing and is a safety issue now. The barricades were removed and it will not be demolished until the Spring.
Truck parking (18 wheelers) in the area of Harding Middle School has come been raised at the PSA meeting and came up again at this meeting. A request for legislative assistance was put in to the office of Councilwoman Maria D. Quiñones-Sanchez to ban parking on those blocks surrounding the school.
Veronica Danial is leading the effort to establish a Town Watch working with the police at the PSA1 meetings. Recruitment is now going on and anyone interested in participating should attend the next PSA1 meeting.
Franklin Daniel commented about the need to recruit new members for the Civic especially younger members. A new member Elaine who was attending her first meeting, agreed and said she was one of those younger people and found it confusing to decide which meeting to come to in Frankford. There are so many groups. Veronica talked about what the various groups. Pete Specos said that there would be a formal recuitment drive for the Civic in the Spring.
The next meeting of the Frankford Civic Association will be held on January 7th at 7 PM at St. Marks Church 4442 Frankford Avenue.