James L. McCartney was born on March 3rd in 1945 in the Mayfair section of Philadelphia. He was a student at St. Bernard’s Elementary and graduated from Father Judge High School.
James then joined the Army National Guard in 1962 and completed his Basic Training at Ft. Dix, New Jersey. He also served at various camps such as Fort Drum, New York and Fort Indiantown Gap, Pennsylvania and A. P. Hill, Virginia. While serving James received many awards and certificates. He also rose to the rank of Captain. When discharged in 1992 he still served inactive duties as Adjutant Officer of the Veterans Guard Reserve Association.
James also was employed at Super Grip Anchor Bolt Company as a metal fabricator. James, in his spare time was involved in auto restoration. He has also been a great supporter of community groups and organizations such as the Lloyd C. Wilson Jr. American Legion Post 224.