The Historical Society of Frankford presents the 4th of its Fall Lecture Series for 2018
December 11, 2018, 7:30 PM
ANNUAL HOLIDAY TEA will precede the lecture at 6:30 PM. All are welcome. Please bring light fare or desserts to share.
The Whitaker Mills: Fred Maurer – Historian and Robin Irizarry – Conservationist
Henry Whitaker’s Textile Mill began as a waterwheel operation in 1813 on the banks of the Tacony Creek at Tabor Road in the Olney section of Philadelphia. A dam was built to maintain water flow to the wheel and a covered bridge was built to carry Tabor Road across the creek. For 157 years the mill provided employment for hundreds of local residents and finally ceased operations in 1970. Some structures still remain and the land is now part of Tacony Creek Park and is part of the Tookany/Tacony-Frankford Watershed Partnership environmental conservation efforts. Please join us to learn how elements of the past are being integrated into current environmental restoration projects.
The Historical Society of Frankford
1507 Orthodox Street
Philadelphia, PA 19124