- Services at St. James – Sat, March 29, 6pm – 7pm, St. James Lutheran Church, Castor Ave. and Pratt St. – Saturdays Prayer Service at 6:00 pm, Sundays Traditional Service at 9:00 am, Sundays Contemporary Service at 10:30 am
- Friends of Overington Park -Wed, April 2, 7pm – 8pm
- Frankford Civic Association Meeting -Thu, April 3, 7pm – 8pm, Aria Hospital, 2nd floor
- Mayor’s Spring Cleanup – Saturday, Apr 5, 2014, At our local parks and the neighborhood
- Historical Society of Frankford program – Tue, April 8, 7:30pm – 9:00pm, 1507 Orthodox St – FIGHTING FIRES IN FRANKFORD (FROM HORSES TO HORSEPOWER: PHILADELPHIA BUREAU OF FIRE 1871–1923) Presentation by Jack Wright, Historian, Philadelphia Fire Department View some of the Society’s collections of fire fighting artifacts from this area’s long-gone volunteer fire companies (first in 1793). Fire historian Jack Wright will describe the early years (1871–1923) of the “Philadelphia Bureau of Fire” and share information on the Fireman’s Hall Museum, situated in a historic 1902 firehouse at 2nd & Arch Street.
- Everybody Ready 2.0 – Wed, April 9, 5:30pm – 7:00pm, Frankford Library, 4634 Frankford Ave – Personal emergency preparedness training. Do you have a plan for a public health emergency? Come learn what you can do before, during and after an emergency to protect yourself and your family.
- Neighborhood Advisory Committee Meeting – Thu, April 10, 7pm – 8pm, 2nd Baptist Church, 1801 Meadow St.
- Senior Spring Fling – Fri, April 11, 10am – 3pm, Peter Bressi Northeast Senior Center 4744 Frankford Ave. – Sponsored by State Rep James Clay
- Grand Army of the Republic Museum Open House – Sun, April 13, 12pm – 5pm, 4278 Griscom Street – Presentation at 1:30 PM: *Ken Milano – Kensington Know-Nothing Riots – 1844
- Frankford PhillyRising Community Meeting – Mon, April 14, 5:30pm – 7:00pm, Frankford Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia 4634 Frankford Avenue
- Northwood Civic Association Meeting -Tue, April 15, 7pm – 8pm, St. James Lutheran Church, at Castor Avenue and Pratt Street.
- RECLAIM | Dumpster Divers – Apr 19 – 20, 2014, @ the corner of Frankford Avenue and Paul Street – Philadelphia’s Dumpster Divers are well known for their commitment to making art from what others would perceive as junk. Seeing the possibilities in trash and other under-utilized resources, they bring a new awareness to the concept of “upcycling” as they transform discarded materials into creative new art forms. Receptions & block party on the 19th.
- Frankford Parks Group – Tue, April 22, 6:30pm – 7:30pm, CDC Building, 4900 Griscom St.
- Northeast Philadelphia EPIC Stakeholders Group – Thu, April 24, 5:30pm – 7:30pm, 2nd Baptist Church, 1801 Meadow Street
- PSA1 Meeting – Thu, April 24, 7pm – 8pm, Aria Hospital, 4900 Frankford Ave
The Advent Wreath is an age-old symbol of the hope and faith we have in the promises of God. Whatever your particular beliefs, the darkness that winter brings to us, reminds us that we each can be a light for the world, for our community and for others.
Please join us each Wednesday, starting December 4th through December 18th, as we light the Advent Wreath in front of St. Joachim R.C. Church, Penn and Griscom Sts., at 6:30 PM. We will walk up Griscom St. to St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, 4442 Frankford Ave., singing Christmas Carols. Light refreshments will await us! Even the weather is joining in, as it will “warm up” to 50 degrees on Wednesday.
We are blessed to have a diversity of cultures, religions and traditions in Frankford. Come and share yours with us! You will be most welcomed! If walking presents a hardship for you, please meet us at St. Mark’s. You’ll be able to tell when we’re coming by our singing!