Hub Arcade Comes Down After 90 Years

Demolition began this week on 4743 Griscom Street which was the Griscom Street entrance of the Hub Arcade.

We haven’t heard that name often since it became a vacant eyesore but it was a big deal back in 1928 when it opened.  It housed a collection of shops almost like an enclosed mall that would come along in the 1960s.  In the 1930s, radio station WFKD broadcast children’s programming on Sundays from the Arcade.  It was still active right through the 1950s.

Now how do we keep the drug users and bums out of the vacant lot that will be left behind.