Posted on

The Pumpkin Girl Incident

My  wife  Rise`  (pronounced  “REE-suh”)  made  me  promise  to  tell  this  particular  story  about  my  “Frankford  days,”  so  here  it  is.

In  the  early  1970s,  I  learned  to  swim  at  the  Frankford  Y,    in  the  Leiper  Street  building  currently  subject  to  sheriff  sale.  I  was  this  hulking  19  year  old  man  towering  over  this  class   of   tots,  learning  to  swim  with  them.   Oh man, that was mortifying!

I  learned  to  swim  quickly,  thank  heavens,   and  in  no  time  I  was  doing  laps,  while  all  of  these  little  kids  who  viewed  me  as  an  oversized  peer  and  fellow  graduate  vied  for  my  attention  whenever  I  went  to  the  pool.

When  I  was  really,  really  good,  I  could  go  down  to  the  bottom  of  the  deep  end  of  the  pool  and  lay  there  on  my  back.  I  could  also  do  three-and-a-half  pool  lengths   under  water   in  three-and-a-half  minutes  without  coming  up.      The  time  sounds  unreal,  but  I  swear  that  this  is  true.

Once  I  participated  in  a  Swim-a-thon  for  charity  at  the  Frankford  Y.  I   did  the  breast  stroke  for  five  hours,  while  my  brother  Tom,  on  the  pool  deck,   kept  count  of  the  number  of  pool  lengths  achieved  without  taking  a  break,   the  basis  for  the  donations  I  had  solicited.

After  five  hours  in  tepid,    mind-numbing,  skin-wrinkling  lukewarm  water,   I  think   because   of  a  complete  lack  of  sensory  input  aside  from  back-and-forth,   back-and-forth,   back-and-forth  in  lukewarm  water,   my  brain  really  and  truly  began  to  manufacture   visual  hallucinations.      I  really  did  see  a  pink  hippopotamus   flying  through  the  air  of  the  swimming  facility  in  front  of  me.  I figured, “That’s it.      I  shouldn’t  be   swimming  in  deep  water  if  I  am  starting  to  hallucinate  from  boredom.”     So I called it quits at that time.

Around  1978,   when  I  was   25,   I  took  the  SCUBA   diving  class  sponsored  by  the  Frankford   Y.    The   instructor  was  a  very  safety-minded   SCUBA  diver   certified  by  NAUI  —   the  National  Association  of  Underwater  Instructors.   Members  of  the  class  were  after  their  “NAUI  cards,”   the  SCUBA  diver’s  “driver  license,”    because  without  them  you’re  not  allowed  to  get  a  fill  for  your  SCUBA  tank  at  a  dive  shop,  because   otherwise  you’re  just  too  darn  dangerous  to  yourself  and  others.  SCUBA diving   is a life-threatening sport, appropriate for cool minds, only.

For  the  class,  I  purchased   the  best  equipment  then  available  —  a  really  good  neoprene   wetsuit,    and  a  big  aluminum  “80,”   a  SCUBA  diver’s  air  tank  designed  to  hold  about  80  cubic  feet  of  compressed  air,  at  around  3000  pounds  per  square  inch.  Because  my  life  depended  on  it,     I  learned  everything  there  was  to  know  about  my  regulator  —  the  clever  device  which  bleeds  air  into  the   mouthpiece  at  just  the  right   pressure  to  counteract  external  pressure  of  the  deep  water   pressing  against  your  body.

To  graduate  from  the  class,  one  had  to  master  the  complex  science  of  compressed  air  and  how  it  interacts  with  the  human  body,    as  well   as  the  dangers   connected  with  SCUBA  diving  —   hyper-oxygenation,  the  bends,   pneumothorax  or  “exploding  lungs,”    and  so  on.

You  also  had  to  demonstrate  utter  fearlessness  in  the  water,     and   proficiency  in  donning  and  using  the  equipment.    The  NAUI  diving  test   at  that  time  illustrates  the  point:  One  had  to   be  able  to   swim  one  full  Olympic  size  pool  length   without  equipment,  without  coming  up  for  air  —  a  piece  of  cake  for  me,  in  those  days.    Then,  all  of  your  equipment   was  thrown  to  the  bottom  of  the  deep  end  of  the  pool.  You  had  to  be  able  to  dive  down,  and  suit-up,  without  coming-up  for  air,  until,  fully   equipped,  you  had  cleared  the  water  out  of  your  mask   and  were   swimming  around  on  the  bottom  with  no  difficulty.  Finally,  you  had  to  be  able  to  swim   down  to  the  20  foot  level  in  Richland  Quarry,   without  equipment,    pick  up  a  rock,    and  bring  it  to  the  surface.

In  the  end,  what  NAUI  wanted,  and  still  wants,  is  an  individual  who  doesn’t  “freak  out”   when  something  bad  happens  under  water,  as  it  does  all  the  time,  in  SCUBA  diving.  They  want  you  to  be  able  to  work  out  the  best  solution  for  underwater  difficulties  without  dying  or  accidentally  killing  off  a  dive  partner.

My  NAUI  training  at  the  Frankford  Y  really  paid  off.     It saved my life.    On  one  dive  off  Ocean  City,  I  was  in  about  150  feet  of  water,  walking  along  the  bottom,     when  suddenly   the  sea  floor  gave  way  beneath  me   and  I  fell  into  a  perfectly  dark  place.

What  had  happened  was  that  years  before  someone  had   dumped  an  old  railroad  engine into  the  sea,    probably  as  an  artificial  reef,    and  as  silt  covered  it  over   the  tank  began  to  rust.  At  150  feet,  water  pressure  squeezes  the  neoprene  wetsuit   to  a  very  dense   thinness.    Suddenly,  it  is  less  buoyant,     so  that,  relatively  speaking,  there  is  less  buoyancy  “up”  and  more  weight  “down”  from  the   aluminum  “80”  and  the  diver’s  weight  belt.

As  a  consequence,  my  effective  underwater   weight at  150  feet   was  such  that  I  fell  through  the  rusted  side  of  the  old  engine’s  iron  tank.

Again,   inside  the  tank  it  was  perfectly  dark,  because  it  was   a   mix  of  water  and  mud   comprising  a  thick  goo.

I  thought  to  myself,  “I  fell  straight  down,  so  I’ll  swim  straight  up.”  I  tried  and,  CLUNK,  I  hit  solid  iron.  I thought, “Hmmmmmm,     where did the opening go?”

Just  then,  at  that  moment,  I  reached  my  ten  minute  warning.

The  ten  minute  warning  is  a  spring-loaded  valve  in  the  regulator   which   shuts  off  your  air  ten  minutes  before  it  runs  out.    This  forces  you  to  throw  the  switch  on  your  valve  turning  your  air  back  on,    equipping  you  with  the  knowledge  that  you  have  ten  minutes  to  get  back  to  the  boat.

But  I  couldn’t,  because  I  was  stuck  in  the  muddy  soup  inside  a  sunken  railroad  engine’s  tank.

I  flipped  my  switch  to  get  my  air  back,  and  I  thought,   “Okay,  I’ve  got  exactly  10  minutes  to  get  out  of  here,  or  it’s  time  to  figure  out  if  I’m  going  to  Heaven  or  Hell.”

It  occurred  to  me  that    I  might  have  rolled  down  the  tank  away  from  the  hole  after  I   fell  in.  So,   I  walked  through  the  perfect  darkness  of  the  muddy  goo,  hands  raised,  feeling  for  the  hole  in  the  top  of  the  tank.

I  walked  all  of  the  way  to  the  end  of  the  tank,    turned  around,  and  walked  all  of  the   way  back,  feeling  the   wall  of  the  tank  with  my  hands  above  my  head  the  full  time.    No hole.

I thought, “Wha-a-a-at?    How is this possible?”

Then  it  occurred  to  me  that  in  total  darkness,  under  water,  in  a  tank,   there  were  no  cues  respecting  which  way  was  “up.”   In  other  words,  I  might  have  just  walked  the  length  of  the  tank  sideways!

So,  I  took  off  a  neoprene  glove   and  held   my  bare  hand   above  my  regulator,  to  the  left  of  my  regulator,  to  the  right  of  it,  and  below  it,  exhaling  each  time,   and   feeling  for  bubbles  so  that  I  could  tell  which  way  was  “up.”

Nothing.  The  goo  was  too  thick  to  allow  me  to  feeling  bubbles.

I  calmly  thought,  “Okay,  Pete,  you’re  down  to  about  five  minutes  of  air.   This may be it.”

I  made  a  final  apology  to  God  in  my  mind  —  what  we  Catholics  call  “an  Act  of  Contrition”  —  and  then  I   said  a  brief  prayer  for  help.

Instantly,  this  idea  jumped  into  my  mind,  in  my  own  mind’s  voice:  “Pete,  break  the  rule  about  holding  your  breath.”   To  this  day,  I  believe  that  it  was  God,  talking  to  me  through  an  angel  —   something  like  that.

The  SCUBA  diver’s  rule  about  holding  one’s  breath  while  using  a  SCUBA  tank  underwater  is  simple:   Don’t.

The reason is that the diver is breathing compressed air.    If  he  inhales  compressed  air  and  holds  it,  he  will  become  buoyant,  float  up,   and  the  air  in  his  lungs  will  expand  and  his  lungs  will  explode  in  only  2-1/2  to  3  feet  up,  and   then   he’ll  die.

But,    it  occurred  to  me  that  if   I  held  my  breath,  I’d  hit  the  top  of  the  tank,  and  suddenly  I’d  know  which  way  was  “up.”

So,  I  inhaled,  my  lungs  expanded  —  and  my  FEET  slammed  into  the  FLOOR!

All  of  that  time,  I  had  been  perfectly  upside-down  in  the  black  goo,  thinking  that  I  was  right  side  up!

I  turned  over,  felt  along  the  “bottom”  of  the  tank  —  really  the  top  —   for  about  3  feet,    found  the  hole,  swam  out,  and  I  was  free.

Just  then,  my  air  ran  out.     But  that  was  not  a  problem  —  a  diver  coming  up  toward  the  surface  from  150   feet    has  to  exhale  the  full  time,  anyway.   As  the  air  in  the  lungs  expands  as  the  diver  surfaces,    he  just  can’t  breath  in.   What  he  thinks  is  “breathing  out  and  in”  is  actually  just   releasing  air  coming  out  of  the  lungs   more  or  less  slowly.

So,  I  came  up  to  the  surface  at  a  leisurely  pace,  passing  other  divers  from  the  dive  boat,  all  of  them  unaware  that  I  had  just  about  died.

But  let  me  get  to  the  part  of  the  story  my  wife  wants  me  to  tell…

There  were  a  number  of  fairly  good-looking  unmarried  girls  in  the  Frankford  Y  SCUBA  club.  And  I  was  still   an  “eligible  bachelor.”   But  I  was  an  “eligible  bachelor”  because  I  was   completely  socially  inept,  vis-à-vis  the   prettier  half  of  our  species.   I  didn’t  know  what  to  do  with  a  girl.      I  didn’t  know  how  to  get  a  girl’s  attention.    I  was  an  idiot  —  a  nerd.

So,  I  may  have  been  eye-balling  some  of  those  wonderful  ladies,  but  they  could  tell,  in  the  way  I  carried  myself,  that   I  didn’t  know  what  to  do,  and  so  I  think  they  suspected  that  I  wouldn’t  be  much  fun  and  so  they  avoided  me.

One  of  the  ladies  was  a   good-looking  one  named  Diane.   I  was  attracted  to  her,   but  Diane  was  already  taken  —  she  had  a  boyfriend  —   and  I  felt  too  inept  to  compete.

Around  that  time,  I  met  Rise`.     We  began  dating.      She  came  to  SCUBA  club  functions  with  me.    This  enabled  the  girls  in  the  SCUBA  club  to  realize,  “Hey!  Pete  DOES  know  what  to  do  with  a  girl!  Look!  He’s  functional!”  and  suddenly  I  was   “in”   —  a  qualified  male.

In   September,  1979,  I  was  studying  for  the  Pennsylvania  bar  exam,  in  my  little  apartment  on  Penn  Street,  near  the  Margaret  and  Orthodox  Station  of  the  Frankford  El.    Rise`  had  wanted  to   go  out  with  me  that  night,  but  I   told  her,  “Littlest”  —  my  nickname  for  her  —  “I  can’t.  I’ve  got  to  study  for  the  bar  exam.”

Around  8:00  p.m.  that  night,    as  I  was  studying,  Rise`  called  to  see  how  I  was  doing.  As  I  talked  to  Rise`,    there  was  a  knock  at  my  door.        I  laid  down  the  phone  and  answered  the  door  —   and  there  was  pretty  Diane,  holding  a  pumpkin.    Diane  smiled  and  said,  “Surprise!  I’ve  got  a  pumpkin  for  you,  to  help  you  celebrate  Halloween!”

To  be  perfectly  honest,  I  thought  to  myself,  “Wow!    Not  too  many  months  ago,  I  was  a  nerd,  studiously  avoided  by  the  opposite  sex!  Now  I  am  on  the  phone  with  a  pretty  girl,  and  I  have  another  pretty  girl  coming  to  the  door  of  my  apartment!”

I  went  back  to  the  phone  and  said,  “Listen,  Littlest,  it’s  Diane,   and  she  has  brought  a  pumpkin  for  me.  I’ll  talk  to  you  later.”

I  hung  up  and  invited  Diane  into  my  apartment  for  the  first  time.     I  gave  her  a  tour  of  the  apartment,  fell  into  conversation  with  Diane  and,   lo  and  behold,    in  what  seemed  like  5  minutes  time,  an  hour  had  passed.

Just  then  my  phone  rang,    and  it  was  Rise`.    She  heard  Diane  talking  in  the  background  and  said,  “WHAT!!!  DIANE  IS  STILL  THERE???!!!  AFTER  AN  HOUR???!!!  I  THOUGHT  YOU  HAD  TO  STUDY  FOR  THE  BAR  EXAM!!!   GET  RID  OF  HER!!!

Me  being  a  man,  it  hadn’t  occurred  to  me  that  being  alone  in  my  apartment  with  another  pretty  girl  might  rub  Rise`  the  wrong  way.   As  Anthony  Quinn  says  in  “Zorba  the  Greek,”  “Am  I  not  a  man?   And  is  not  a  man  stupid?   I   am  a  man.  So…”

In  any  event,  I  gently  told  Diane  that  I  really  had  to  get  back  to  studying  for  the  bar  exam.  I  am  sure  that  I  hurt  her  feelings.    But  Rise`  was  right.

Or  was  she?

Every  now  and  then  in  our  marriage,   I  have  teased  Littlest  about  the  “Pumpkin  Girl  incident,”   as  we  call  it.    The  other  night,  after  I  teased  her  about  it,  Littlest  said,  “You  know,  if  you  make  that  story  the  subject  of  one  of  your  Frankford  Gazette  stories,  and  you  try  to  defend  yourself    in  it,  every  girl  and  lady  reading  that  article  will  say,  ‘She  was  right,  he  was  wrong.’”

Okay,  so  let  me  see  what  happens:     I  hereby  defend  the  fact  that  I  had  Pumpkin  girl,  a  very  pretty  young  lady,  alone  with  me  in  my  apartment  for  an  hour,  while  I  was  dating  Rise`.

Any  takers?