When I first read this it struck me that it is absolutely true, especially in Frankford, that we encounter people who need this type of aid often.
Did you know that you are more likely to encounter a person in a mental health crisis than someone having a heart attack? Learn the warning signs and how YOU can help!
Temple University’s Center for Social Policy and Community Development will be hosting FREE 8 hour training sessions on Youth Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) and Adult Mental Health First Aid. MHFA is a national early intervention and public education program, made free to Philadelphians through the Department of Behavioral Health and Intellectual disAbility Services (DBHIDS).
During this training, you will learn the 5 Step ALGEE action plan, which is administered until appropriate treatment and support are received or until the crisis is resolved. You will be able to identify, understand and respond to signs and symptoms of mental illnesses or substance use disorders.
Serving as a training hub, Temple University will be hosting multiple trainings at Tuttleman Hall, Room 300AB, 1809 North 13th Street (northeast corner of 13th and Montgomery), Philadelphia, PA. Here are the options:
Youth Mental Health First Aid
– Tuesday, April 5th and Friday, April 8th from 12:00 PM to 4:30 PM
– Monday, May 9th from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM
– Tuesday, June 7th and Friday, June 10th, from 12:00 PM to 4:30 PM
– Monday, July 11th from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM
– Tuesday, August 9th and Friday, August 12th, from 12:00 PM to 4:30 PM
Adult Mental Health First Aid
– Thursday, April 14th from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM
– Thursday, May 19th and Friday, May 20th, from 12:00 PM to 4:30 PM
– Thursday, June 16th from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM
– Thursday, July 21st and Friday, July 22nd, from 12:00 PM to 4:30 PM
Seating is limited, so register early for this FREE training via www.HealthyMindsPhilly.org. Note: Attendance is required for the entire 8 hours, in order to receive a 3 year national certification and free manual. For more info: call (215) 790-4996. See flyer at this link.