Posted on

Baby Grayson Finally Comes Home

Before & After
Prevailing Hereditary Diseases
By Sophia H. Lewis “Nana”

Grayson with mom Kyra

By the grace of our faith, we as grandparents expect the new births of our continuous blood lines of generations to be uninterrupted without ever having to face complications. I beg to differ. My grandson, Grayson, was born a beautiful baby boy. Then a few short weeks later, a severe medical condition called Cardiomyopathy drastically affected my grandson’s life and then God performed His miracles and blessings.

Grayson had no prior signs or symptoms that indicated he was about to become gravely ill. There was no way for him to alert his parents that his tiny body was soon about to endure the fight of his life. Late one night in August, Grayson started with a grunting breathing sound. I said to my daughter, a first-time mother, “Grayson’s breathing sounds a bit unusual. “  She immediately called the pediatrician and he suggested taking him to the nearest emergency room.

As the family sat and waited, the last thing to ever cross our minds was for my daughter to come out to the waiting room of the ER to announce to us that Grayson needed intubation ASAP! I gasped for air. Every second became valuable just like that. Once he was placed on the respirator, his status changed drastically. His blood pressure skyrocketed, glucose levels plummeted, and his heart was being challenged.

Emergency transport was arranged to move him to another hospital, over 60 plus miles from his hometown. The ambulance not only raced against time but also against the heavy rainy weather which ruled out any chance that he could be air lifted to the much-needed children’s hospital. As my daughter rode in the ambulance with her extremely sick child, her husband and the rest of us drove through the rainy night on the dark country Carolina roads. You best believe prayers were expressed with each passing mile.

Now my grandson Grayson was in the care and hands of the doctors and nurses who specialized in newborn serious health conditions. All sorts of tests were done to rule out the various possible diagnosis. Before we looked up, days had passed by and Grayson’s condition began to go downhill steadily. Once he was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, a whole new set of challenges hit his tiny body.

It was touch and go as they attempted to get him off the breathing tube. I recall one doctor saying, “we will have to listen to Grayson to tell his story rather than try to write one for him” I realized at that point, it was going to take a miracle for Grayson.

He endured seizures, a stroke, a bleeding blood clot in the brain and the worst, cardiac arrest. The healthcare team worked endlessly around the clock, adjusting the various medications and treatments taking hm towards his wellness.

Each day was a ray of hope for restoration. After a little over two months, day by day, the assistive devices began to disappear. The last item removed was the NG feeding tube. It had taken quite the effort for him to regain the ability to latch back onto breast feeding.

Grayson was discharged on September 15th and he is back home and settled in enjoying the comfort of his home with his mother and father. He has a lot of maintenance medications but on that same note he has met many goals while becoming stronger. This has been a difficult life experience, as I watched him fight like the true warrior he is.

We don’t know how we will turn out once we are born. To prevail over uncontrollable conditions shows that we are conquerors, when we expend energy fighting for our lives despite the hand we are dealt. My grandson Grayson is a fine example of strength.

God held him in His arms the entire time of this ordeal. Maybe the only lasting outcome that might affect Grayson is to tire more quickly than others his age but that is yet to be seen. I say this because now as he lives with a minimal to mild stridor, wheezing sound caused by disrupted airflow, after all he had endured.

I recognize God being present the entire time. One last thing, all the supportive prayers have been answered. God Blessed Grayson with miracle after miracle and we, his family, are forever grateful.

For more information about infant cardiomyopathy follow this link.