The Frankford CDC held a public board meeting at the Frankford Library on May 25th. The board laid out their program of work for the next year. It is clear that the CDC, while still hampered by the debts of the past, is dealing with those problems and has turned the corner and is looking toward the future with optimism.
This board is active and engaged and has a vision. It was therefore somewhat disappointing that so few from the community attended this public meeting. This is a brief listing of some of the tasks listed for the next year:
- The CDC will continue to work on Economic & Community Development within the constraints of the current economic realities.
- Facade Improvements to the Commercial Corridor have been ongoing with some significant progress visible on the Avenue.
- They are using the Transit-oriented Development plan as a general blueprint for the future development.
- They will get back into Residential Rehab when it financially responsible to do so.
- They are going to establish a plan for Marketing Vacant Properties.
- Work is being done on the Branding of Frankford.
- Work with the Public Parking Authority to ease parking issues along the business strip.
- Organizing Commercial Corridor Block Captains.
- Producing a Frankford Businesses Brochure.
- Establishing a Community Website.
- Special Events will be publicized in the future.
The CDC will continue to sponsor the Northeast Philly Idol contest which is scheduled for October 16th this year. The venue however is likely to move to the Devon Theater. Further announcements will follow on the specifics.
Many of these tanks involve cooperation among the various groups in Frankford. It is encouraging to see the Frankford Four working together to improve the future of the community. Who are the Frankford Four?