There are a lot of organizations that do good and we have written about many. I’m going to focus on this particular Church located in Frankford at the foot of Oxford Avenue under the shadow of the El train.
Pastor Elaine Rivera often contacts us with information about events, gatherings and offerings that the Church is doing for the community. There are many people in need in Frankford and they count on many of the life-giving Churches and community groups just to survive. Each service group tries to meet the needs of the people as best as they can.
What I have noticed over the years is that Pastor Elaine and her volunteers do what they do in a quiet, humble fashion. They go about the business of serving God’s people, as much as they are able counting, on other good people to help them with their needs. We know and believe that the Lord will provide but sometimes it takes more faith than we might have at the moment. But I don’t think Pastor Elaine’s faith falters – her life experiences have prepared her well for her ministry to society’s forgotten people.
Elaine Rivera grew up in Philadelphia but her call to ministry would not come until later in life. After she graduated from college, she served her country as a member of the United States Air Force for 8 years. Following an honorable discharge, she chose to study Law Enforcement and her career took her to New Mexico for 5 years. Feeling a call to further service for the Lord, Elaine became a licensed and ordained Minister of the Gospel in March 2011 at True Life Bible Church in Sicklerville, NJ. Serving in various servant leader roles, Elaine became an Assistant Pastor. Launching Crossroads Empowerment Ministry in Blackwood, NJ, Elaine would become a Senior Pastor. Pastor Elaine now serves as the Founder and Senior Pastor of Come As You Are Community Church. Her congregation are those marginalized by society – the homeless, the drug addicted, those who are challenged either socially or economically. Pastor Elaine is praying for guidance regarding the establishment of traditional housing for the homeless.
Come As You Are Community Church can be found on Facebook here – https://www.facebook.com/CAYAFCC/ and the Internet right here – cayachurch.org.
The Frankford Gazette recently posted that the Church needs volunteers. Please consider getting involved and helping them. Also, plans for Christmas Eve follows. Please help Pastor Elaine continue the work that she and the Church does so well.
This is a notification of a VIRTUAL, ON-LINE, VIDEO PUBLIC MEETING to discuss the project described below. All Registered Community Organizations that have geographic boundaries containing the project property and all community members are welcome to attend.
- Property Description: Frankford CDC is the owner of the existing parcels, located at 4665 Paul Street.
- Project Description: Frankford CDC proposes the alteration of an existing fire-damaged structure into an attached mixed-use structure with Commercial space on the 1st Floor and cellar and Four residential units on the 2nd and 3rd Floor. No change to existing building footprint or height.
- The property is located in a CMX-2 Commercial Zoning District.
- Summary of Refusal: In response to the Application, L&I issued a Refusal Letter because L&I states that the proposed structure lot area exceeds the maximum allowed and the proposed use of four (4) multi-family household is prohibited on this lot.
- Upon receipt of the Refusal Letter, an appeal to Philadelphia Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) was filed on behalf of Frankford CDC for variance relief.
- As a neighbor within 250 feet of this property we are notifying you of this matter. Frankford CDC is the coordinating Registered Community Organization (RCO) for this property as recognized by the City. We also notified Councilmember Maria Q. Sanchez’s office.
- Councilmember Sanchez’s Office will be hosting a VIRTUAL, ON-LINE, VIDEO PUBLIC MEETING in advance of a public hearing to discuss the project on Thursday, Aug 20, 2020, 6:30 p.m., via ZOOM VIDEO CONFERENCING. Please register in advance for this meeting the going to the following link:
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
- Please review the zoning posters for the date of the PUBLIC HEARING to be held by the City of Philadelphia Zoning Board of Adjustment, located at 1515 Arch Street, 18th Floor, Philadelphia, PA.
- For reference, contact information for all affected Registered Community Organizations and the District Councilperson is provided as follows:
- Councilmember Maria Quinones-Sanchez, 7th Council District, 215-686-3448 (email@example.com)
- Frankford CDC, 215-743-6580 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Frankford NAC zoning meeting was held on February 13th at Second Baptist Church. The following cases were heard:
4733 Leiper Street – Applicant seeking a variance for a five family dwelling. No fire suppression system. (Code states that anything over 3 units must have fire suppression system.) Upgrades were done without permits being pulled – Opposed
4733 Leiper Street
5627 Hegerman Street – . Applicant failed to attend 3 times. They have to reapply – Case dismissed
5627 Hegerman Street
4735,31,39 Duffield Street – Combine OPA accounts to be used as personal parking. Continued
4735,31,39 Duffield Street
The next Frankford NAC zoning meeting will be held on March 12th at 7 PM at Second Baptist Church, 1801 Meadow Street.
The Frankford NAC zoning meeting was held on January 9th, the following cases were heard:
5343 Horrocks Street – legalization of a duplex. Non-opposition
5343 Horrocks Street
4260 Tackawanna Street – car repair shop- highly opposed. Operating without a business license, illegal spray painting and cars dumped onto Cloud Street.
4260 Tackawanna Street
The next Frankford NAC zoning meeting will be held on February 13th at 7 PM at Second Baptist Church, 1801 Meadow Street.
The Frankford NAC zoning meeting will be held on January 9th at 6 PM at Second Baptist Church, 1801 Meadow Street. The following cases are on the agenda:
4260 Tackawanna Street – Case must be heard. Car repair shop. SPECIAL EXCEPTION FOR PERSONAL VEHICLE REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE (NO SPRAY PAINTING) WITH ACCESSORY STORAGE OF AUTO PARTS AND VEHICLES BEING SERVICED WITHIN AN EXISTING STRUCTURE WITH ALL OTHER USES AS PREVIOUSLY APPROVED.
4260 Tackawanna Street
5627 Hegerman Street – Lot that has tractor trailer trucks parked on it. PERMIT FOR USE AS EQUIPMENT AND MATERIAL STORAGE IN EXISTING VACANT LOT. NO SIGNS ON THIS APPLICATION.
5343 Horrocks Street – Legalization of a duplex. PERMIT FOR THE LEGALIZATION OF HOUSEHOLD LIVING TWO (2) FAMILY DWELLING IN AN EXISTING STRUCTURE.
5343 Horrocks Street